12.05.2013

Lemongrass Chicken Stew with Potato-Chive Dumplings



There's no denying it: it's that sniffling, sneezing, coughing, stuffy head time of year. Fortunately, I have yet to catch the dreaded bug, and I believe I have my trusty mini hand sanitizers to thank for that (one in the purse, one in the car and one in the house- I swear by it).

Everyone knows that a big bowl of chicken soup is a cure-all remedy for nearly any ailment. But as much as I love a good old-fashioned recipe from grandma, the traditional version can get a little tired, am I right? Carrots, celery, noodles...yawn. Chicken soup is just begging to be doctored up, and personally I find that something with a strong kick helps to set me right again when I'm feeling under the weather. Heaps of garlic and ginger and a healthy dash of sriracha and suddenly I can breathe again. That yucky nasal spray can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned. Sorry, I have a thing. It creeps me out.


Anyway, back to the soup. I found this Thai inspired version on Food and Wine and couldn't wait to try it. I mean, who could resist those little gnocchi-esque potato dumplings? Certainly far more exciting than plain old noodles! So when a client recently came down with a little bug I jumped at the chance to help nurse her back to health with this soup. I took the liberty of tweaking the recipe a bit, adding generous amounts of immunity boosting garlic, ginger and lemongrass. And sure enough, she emailed me the next morning saying she felt loads better. I like to think the soup had a little something to do with it, thank you very much.


adapted from food and wine
Ingredients
1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp. ginger, peeled and minced
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. lemongrass, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour, plus more for rolling
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp. minced chives
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. baby bok choi, chopped
1 tbsp. cornstarch dssolved in 1 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped

Instructions
1. Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with hot water. Cook over high heat until tender, about 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy casserole. Add the chicken and cook over high heat until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass and jalapeño. Cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of the fish sauce and the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a ricer and press into a bowl. Save the potato water. Add flour, egg yolk, chives and salt to the potatoes and stir until a stiff dough forms (you may need to add additional flour gradually until the dough comes together). Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured board and divide it in half. Roll each piece into a 1/2-inch-thick rope. Cut the ropes into 1-inch pieces.
4. Add the bok choy to the stew and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.
5. Return the potato water to a boil and add the dumplings. Cook over high heat until they rise to the surface, then simmer for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the chicken stew. Add the basil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and simmer the stew for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges and sriracha, if desired.

3 comments:

  1. Love the Asian twist in this recipe! Good for you for being creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! It certainly is a different twist on the typical chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely Recipes. I love Cooking.Its a Gret Idea .Thanks For Shearing This kind of great info.

    Buy Tanning Injections UK & Tan Injections Uk

    ReplyDelete